Sunday, February 23, 2014

I wear Yoga Pants.

I am confident.  I am strong. I have self-worth, self-respect, dignity and integrity. I respect and value others.
And yes, I wear yoga pants.
In the last year, I balanced being an entrepreneur and President of an inspirational gift and lifestyle company, motivational speaker, trained for 100 mile Ultra marathon and completed it, fundraised for the race (raised over $11,000 for the Family Scholar House), Chaired the Taste of St. Raphael, coached our son’s basketball team, a husband who travels the world, two very active boys in school and lots of extracurricular activities…oh and let’s not forget our 100 pound dogJ
On any given moment, you could find me in anything from a business suit, business casual, work-out gear and yes, even yoga pants. 
Please do not mistake my work-out clothes or yoga pants for lack of caring or lack of self-respect.
I completely agree about dressing appropriately for the occasion; business meetings, interviews, nice restaurants, Church, family gatherings, holidays, a night-out.  Your attire shows respect for the occasion and the people involved with it.  First impressions and perceptions are a reality; therefore, making your clothing choices extremely important for some of the above occasions. 
However, a run to the grocery store in work-out clothes does not constitute a lack of self-respect or respect for others.   It’s called having a full schedule, multi-tasking and balancing. 
Furthermore, for some occasions a woman dressing up can look like she is trying too hard.  A woman trying too hard is never attractive.  Sometimes less is more.  
When I see a woman in work-out clothes, I think, “good for you for taking care of yourself”.  I see strength. When I see a woman without make-up, I see a confident, beautiful, strong woman.  For most in casual clothes, it is not that comfort is taking over;  it is a matter of scheduling.  Even if it is for comfort, provided the attire is appropriate for the occasion, if it is going to make the person happier, go for it.  I would much rather be around a happy, pleasant person even if she is in flats as opposed to heels.
I try not to judge.  For all women who feel they cannot leave the house without make-up to run an errand, if you have the time and it makes you feel good, do it (to each her own).  Personally, I do not need make-up or certain clothes to feel beautiful.  I am confident in my own skin. Clothes certainly do not give me self-respect or give me the ability to show respect. 
I have seen women and men dressed to the nines that have been disrespectful to others and I have seen homeless people in rags show respect and love.  I am who I am no matter the clothes I don. 
I know a woman who has been at the hospital for days taking care of her child going through chemo who I admire deeply.  This woman is wearing a sweater and yoga pants and after she has spent a day at the hospital with her son in comfortable clothes, she runs to the grocery to get dinner for her family at home and runs by the Mall to pick up a new pair of navy pants for her other son to wear school.  He had grown out of his other pants.  This woman has an amazing work ethic, self-respect, dignity, worth and a compassionate heart.  I admire her.
I know a woman who has been volunteering her time and working outside to help build a home for a family in need.  This woman is wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt (and yes, they are even soiled after her hard days work).  After her full days work to help a family in need, she runs to the grocery.  I admire this strong, giving woman. 
I know a woman who cleans homes for a living.  She is in sweatpants and a sweatshirt.  After she works her tail off, she races to pick up her kids from school and shuttles them to sports practices and runs by the grocery.  I admire this hard working woman.
Some wear business suits Monday-Friday and welcome the opportunity to dress casual.  In fact, my husband is one of those men who travels the world and routinely interfaces with corporate leadership.  On the weekends, he welcomes the chance to turn his hat around backwards, wear comfy clothes and drive his truck. 
We are grounded, down-to-earth, strong individuals who do not feel the need to impress the people at the grocery store. 
We try and raise our children the best we can.  We believe each of them is unique and has their own special gifts.  Our hope is that our children realize their power from within, discover their gifts and share them with others, affecting society in a positive way.  Hard Work is paramount to success.  Balance. Work, Rest, Play.  Give your best; but you do not need to strive for perfection.  Don’t take yourself too seriously.  Our house is not perfect.  We work hard. We laugh. If we fall, we get back up. Get your hands dirty. 
Just as we try and teach our children balance in life and making good decisions, so it is with attire…to know the right times to wear the right things.
I can get dressed up with the best and hold my own; but, I can also get down and dirty in the trenches.
Life is a balancing act. 
Next time you see a woman at the grocery store in yoga pants, you may just want to think twice about who she is…You never know, you may have just come across Wonder Woman.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for post. I am looking for Lululemon leggings that do not pill off or fade even after hundred washes. Do you have suggestion for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. have enjoyed I reaing your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the blog. I dam appreciating your effort. You can visit my website < Yoga pants

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that... high waist yoga pants

    ReplyDelete