Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Purpose




Hi, I am Kim Andriole.  This is my first-ever blog.  I start with hesitancy.  In the past, I have never been one to talk about a journey, a challenge, while I was experiencing it; I waited until I was done and, if people were interested, I was glad to talk about it.  

This journey, however, is different.  This is more than a personal pursuit.  This is about combining a dream of my son’s, a community need, and one of my gifts to accomplish a goal larger than anything I have tried before.

Let me start with my son’s dream, actually his prayer:  My son always prays, "Lord, please help the poor not be poor anymore." He has been praying this since he was five years old (he is now 10).  I have always thought, "My, that is one tall order."  But, I always continued to pray with him.

Recently, I learned of the Family Scholar House.  Their mission is to end the cycle of poverty through education. The people enrolled in the program are working hard to earn a four year college degree.  They do not want a temporary fix.  They want a change that will impact their lives and the lives of their families, a change that will make them independent. The Family Scholar House partners with the participants of the program, helping them not only in their efforts to earn a 4 year college degree but also offering participants life skill classes on interviewing skills, managing a budget, buying a home, etc.

A light bulb went off!  Why not use my gifts to help make a difference in this world.  Why not combine my gifts and passion with a purpose.  Even if it is small, I can do something.  In a very small way, I can "help the poor not be poor anymore".
So, my journey begins.  On July 28th, 2013, I will run a 100 mile race in Alaska to benefit the Family Scholar House.  My goal is to raise $100,000.  I understand that amount seems like a lofty goal.  And frankly to many, so does running 100 miles all at once.  I am sure that many of the participants in the FSH felt that achieving a college degree was a lofty goal.  Many have probably been told that obtaining a college education was nothing more than a dream and that it is not possible. Yet, these participants find it in themselves to believe “it is possible” and work to achieve and break the cycle of poverty.  That motivates me to run 100 miles and work to earn $100,000 for the Family Scholar House.  I believe it is possible.  I believe they are possible.

I am stepping out of my comfort zone to raise money for Family Scholar House.  I am stepping out of my comfort zone to share stories and write of my journey but I do this for the people of the FSH.  I will also write about others I meet along my journey.  Other people who are on a journey of their own to making the impossible, possible. 

I hope you will join us!

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled upon your blog through a FB post from someone at SRS (don't remember who it was). So empowering! I look forward to following!

    ReplyDelete